Frequently Asked Questions
HOW DOES A CLINICAL MEDICAL ASSISTANT’S WORK INVOLVE ELECTRONIC HEALTH RECORDS?
Electronic Health Records (EHR) act as portable records of a patient’s healthcare experience. According to the NHA, certified medical assistants can enter information into EHR systems. In many cases, medical assistants who take on this responsibility help doctors see and treat patients more efficiently and may help reduce errors in medical procedures and their documentation.
IS CERTIFICATION IMPORTANT FOR A CLINICAL MEDICAL ASSISTANT?
While certification requirements vary by location and organization, earning a certification such as the CCMA can help designate a prospective medical assistant as a serious professional. The NHA also notes that many healthcare organizations now require certification for career paths that lead to promotion or emerging roles such as health coach, patient navigator or patient care coordinator.
WHAT DOES AN ELECTRONIC HEALTH RECORDS SPECIALIST’S WORK INVOLVE?
While a medical assistant works directly with healthcare professionals and patients, the EHR Specialist is focused on the electronic documentation of the patient’s care and condition. EHR Specialist job activities might include:
- Auditing patient records for compliance with government or insurance requirements
- Abstracting clinical information for reporting purposes
- Performing basic coding for reimbursement claims
- Processing Release of Information (ROI) requests for medical records
- Reviewing patient records for completion and accuracy
- Collecting patient information for demographic and insurance reports
- Discussing patient information with physicians and insurance professionals
IS ELECTRONIC HEALTH RECORDS SPECIALIST A GOOD CAREER FOR REMOTE WORK?
Because electronic records are held and updated online, EHR Specialist is considered an option for a remote or home-based career. ZipRecruiter.com reports that most employers will require that remote team members have strong, secure internet connections and most will require certification.